Sunday, June 17, 2007

I got this e-mail today...


Okay, so I joined Classmates.com as a free member many years ago, just for the hell of it. However, I never really used it and decided to quit the site. Then in the last few years I went back to it, still as a free member.

The free membership is very limited and you barely use any of the site's functions. I can't read profiles or contact anyone, which is very annoying. I was able to post on my school's messageboard but now it says you have to have a Gold membership to post anything. (Grrr!) People can post in my guestbook but I can't read the posts. And I can receive e-mails but I can't read or respond to them.

Case in point...

I got an e-mail from a FHS classmate, today, and I can't read it. It's very annoying!

I'm considering getting a 3-month Gold membership just so I can read the damn e-mails and guestbook signings but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

It's a strange occurance on today of all days. I was telling my friend Ken that I've been thinking a lot about Forestburg lately and have been considering going there to visit for a weekend.

However, the logistics of such a visit have kept me from going back. Plus, I'm not sure that I want to go there again. The last time I was there was a bit of a letdown and I felt some major closure after leaving.

Part of me would like to see how Duke is doing, but who knows if he even lives there anymore. Plus, I've never felt very welcome there the few times I've gone back. Plus, I get this surreal chill down my back while there. It's almost like I'm 13 again, the outsider, who's family dared to move into town from somewhere beyond the horizon.

It's a little disturbing.

The truth is the Forestburg was the closest thing I had to a hometown, growing up, but I don't really consider it my hometown now. I've now lived in Edmonton longer than I lived in Forestburg. My immediate family are all here, in the city. Hell, I live with my sister and my dad lives only a few blocks away!

Edmonton is my home. Yet, I still feel strangely connected to Forestburg.

So, what do I do? Do I go back and feel out of place and slightly unwelcome? Or do I ignore this feeling in my gut and concentrate on the here and now?

Hmm...

The e-mail from the FHS classmate is intriguing. Specifically, who it's from.

Food for thought...

No comments: