Sunday, June 14, 2009

Water Main Breaks in Downtown Edmonton


It's been really hot the last few days here in Edmonton. It got so bad that I decided to head to the "break room" in the basement of my apartment building. While my apartment doesn't get disgustingly hot most of the time, I decided the cool off as best as I could with my iPod blazing.

I lazed for nearly an hour before one of the locals came in to check to see if the water was turned off. (The room has a sink and two bathrooms.) It turns out that a water main had broken and that 116 Street was flooded from Jasper Avenue to near my building.

Well, I decided to go to check it out since I was bored silly anyway. The flooding was very severe and the situation got tense as several nearby apartment buildings (not mine) were threatened by the rising water. From my vantage point, I couldn't tell if the water was seriously threatening The Druid, a popular downtown Edmonton nightspot.

I took a few photos with my digital camera but I didn't try to get that perfect shot. It was too fucking hot out.

The situation seems to be under control now. The water has drained away as the city quickly moved to fix the problem.

It just goes to prove that if you blink that you could miss an event going on right outside your home.

No comments: